The number one thing you’ll need when you move is a reliable moving company. You don’t want friends and family to try and help you move an entire a house. Even for an apartment the self-move is stressful and never ending. Here is what to look for in a moving company.
It’s always a good idea to look for referrals. Start by asking friends and family if they have any recommendations. If you don’t have any luck there, look online and read reviews if available. This will help you come up with a short list.
Call your Short List
Once you come up with a short list prepare a check list of questions you will ask each moving company when you call:
- Are they available on your moving date? Ask this first to save yourself some time.
- Do they provide plastic moving boxes? If yes, how much do they charge and do they deliver them? This is a definite plus for convenience.
- What equipment do they have? You want a team that uses dollies and blankets to protect your belongings and to work efficiently.
- Do they have Replacement Value Insurance to cover damages? If not you should check if your insurance includes a moving clause.
- Are they covered by workers’ compensation? Just in case anyone gets injured.
Get Three Estimates
Once you decide on which three moving companies best suit your needs get quotes. Ask them to come to your home to get a better idea of how long it will take to complete the move. They can also advise you of how many moving boxes you will require for packing if you are renting plastic moving boxes from them. With the numbers you are given ask further questions such as:
- Is this based on an hourly rate or scope of work?
- Are there any additional fees you should know about such as a fee for travel time to your home?
- Do they require a deposit? What payment methods do they accept? If they do not charge GST or only take cash they may be operating under questionable circumstances.
Make sure the estimate is in writing and signed and dated. As well make sure it lists everything including current address and your new address to avoid further charges. Using this approach to finding a moving company will help you find one that is trustworthy and reliable.